This recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser, featuring familiar and comforting Italian flavors found in classic American dishes, such as spaghetti with sauce and pizza. Pungent onion and garlic plus fresh basil, oregano, and juicy roma tomatoes are the main stars in this recipe, imparting their synergetic tastiness throughout the zucchini. Zucchini serves to bulks up the recipe so to make sure that everyone gets their full.
Whether you are watching your intake of gluten, simple carbohydrates, or animal products, this recipe surely will not disappoint.
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, or 2 tbsp fresh
- 1 tbsp dried basil, or 2 tbsp fresh
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, diced
- Optional: also add 1-2 regular beef tomatoes for extra moisture and flavor)
- 4 cups zucchini, shredded on a cheese grater or spiralized
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- When oil is hot, add onions with a dash of sea salt, stir, and cook for 5-10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic, oregano, and basil. Allow to cook for about 1 minute while frequently stirring.
- Add diced tomatoes and another dash of salt. Cook about 10 minutes, allowing sauce to thicken up some.
- Slowly fold in zucchini with another dash of salt. Cook another 10 minutes, or to taste. If zucchini takes awhile to soften and/or if the sauce dries out, sprinkle with additional water and lid.
- Add red pepper flakes to taste. Add additional salt to taste if necessary.
- Without a doubt, this recipe tastes better the day after it’s made, when all the flavors and spices have had a chance to mingle and fall in love with one another.
- Roma tomatoes are the best tomato variety to use for this recipe and tomato-based sauces in general. Romas are smaller than the regular round beef tomatoes, meaning they have less water content and therefore more concentrated flavor. This is ideal for a sauce.
- Suggested additional toppings:
- Ground turkey or pork
- White beans such as cannellini